Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Exterior Pond Lighting - How to?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Exterior Pond Lighting - How to?

I am very much a night person and like to hang outside at night (lurking in the dark) Does anyone have any insight or advice on pond lighting placement for my viewing pleasure. I don't want any light fixtures in the water but rather have some strategically placed lights shooting away from my view plane and not back in my face. What kind of lighting is best (incandescent, low voltage halogen, etc.)? How do the koi react when lighting is thrown over the pond.

Also where I plan to build my pond is a street light directly overhead that will produces some nice "free" general lighting around the pond. Is this bad for the koi if pond always has some light source (sun, street light) continuously. Do koi sleep? Thanks for your comments...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San
    Also where I plan to build my pond is a street light directly overhead that will produces some nice "free" general lighting around the pond. Is this bad for the koi if pond always has some light source (sun, street light) continuously. Do koi sleep? Thanks for your comments...
    My pond is about 20 feet from a street light, resulting in ~70% of the pond being lit at night. I have not noticed any problems. Not sure if the kois ever slept because there was always a mad rush for the pellets whenever I tossed some in.

As a matter of fact, one very experienced keeper here mentioned that he has a florescent light by his pond to keep the kois from being spooked at night. He claimed to have reduced the problems of kois with bent spline. Any thoughts on this claim?

Post Thanks / Like
    SMG should share her experience on this. I recall she has an insect attracting light set up such that the bugs will fall into the pond. They are quickly eaten by the koi.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the funny things I have always noticed is that fish will often change their orientation in the water when a spot light is shown on them. In other words they "list" over on one side. Nothing permanent mind you the return to normal as soon as the light goes out but it is funny to watch.
    I have a security spot light in the back yard and I have noticed that when it is on the fish have trouble seeing floating pellets on the water's surface. Paste food they grab in an instant but what floats on the surface seems to be harder to see.
    B.Scott