Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: time to change lighting bulbs

time to change lighting bulbs

This is the year that It's time for me to change my florescent lighting tubes.
    I run grow lux for aquariums and plants in them to aid in the fight to maintain color. Some bulbs claim a 5-7 year life but I always feel better changing every coupla years.

I remember when I first moved my koi inside how the color fell and how it became apparent the following year I needed to do something.

If it was a perfect world, I'd remove the roof on my indoor facility and replace with clear plastic panels. here in the pacific northwest we get such grey days for the next 4 months that I think even the koi get depressed.

I bring the topic up in case we have some koi keepers with fish inside in the winter and no special effort to get them a full spectrum light. I was into a specialty store for hyroponics the other day to see what was new but that light is so bright, I'd think it'd blind the koi! Sure was hard on my eyes.

anyone else want to share what they do with their indoor facility?

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    Anyone else want to share what they do with their indoor facility?
    Hi Dick,
    Still interested in talking indoor lighting? I've been having very poor luck getting any interest on the subject elsewhere.
    On my indoor pond are four 40 watt lamps. I normaly use two 6500K and two aquarium/plant lamps, but have been using four of the 6500K's for the past six months or so.

My fish are inside year round presently.
    Do you have your lights on a fixed timer?
    Mine are on 12 hours a day, but I've been considering switching them to staying on only during daylight hours so that the photoperiod changes with the seasons.
    Do you think this would be worthwhile?
    Thanks
    Dan

Interior Lighting

Dick,

Have you considered using low-voltage halogen light fixtures. There are many types of low voltage lighting. MR-16 type light fixtures. IMHO, give off the best color rendition for lighting. Without going with "specialty" greenhouse lighting, I believe that l-v halogen is the best way to achieve true color rendition. I'll check with several of my electrical engineers to get the lowdown. What I like about low-voltage halogen is the ability to be able to have lights on dimmer controls. You could change your flourescent light fixtures ballast to allow for dimming control as well, but the quality of light (for ANY flourescent) is not very good compared to incandescents or low-voltage halogens.

Thats why most if not all bathroom vanity light fixtures are either incandescent or l-v halogen lighting. Women need true color rendition when doing-up their make-up. We also use this type of lighting for art galleries and display areas for "showing" items. Although, not as energy efficient and lasting as flourescents, but if you want better color, I would consider changing. Hope this helps

Dick: For aquarium plant success, the internet aquatic plant gurus will argue that you can use less expensive "white" GE bulbs. One does not get the color enhancement of grolux, but the right wavelengths are there. Best to change bulbs at least annually. Nonetheless, I mix cheap GEs with Triton & CoraLife specialty bulbs and power compact fluorescents. All changed annually, except Tritons turn off automatically when output declines ... can last 18-24 months sometimes.

For indoor koi success, I know nothing!!

Thanks for bringing the topic back up with some interesting input. I run my

lights for 12 hrs each day. I like the Florescents only because they run cool. some of the hallogens were so bright and hot it made me nervous. But the idea with a dial for brightness and lower wattage does make sense.

I don't have enought knowledge in this area to say with any certainty what is best, I do know if you don't address the problem with indoor lighting and conventional buildings you will have color problems. That's why all the fish houses in japan are made of clear see thru material to take advantage of all the light they can get!

thank you all for your insights!

Lighting affecting Hi Quality...

Dick,

Sorry, I did not realize that the koi needed amounts of natural sunlight or any light to help maintain color. My post was intended to address getting the best color rendition for indoor viewing. Would the lighting for the indoor pond be more for pond water sustainability or does the koi actually need to be drenched in the light? I only ask, because usually low-voltage halo fixtures are not used for general lighting. More for task or spot lighting. This could be good for dispersing the lighting in areas of the pond that you want more light than others. The downside with this type of lighting is you will get hot spots (brightness) below each fixture, just like recessed can lighting. Just more tid bits. Good luck.

For mimicing nature and then some

Aloha

Sorry but if you cant create an algablome you need more and better light, a clue for us i permannet healty alge cover of all walls then we feel on trac
    Tone - Truls -Petter
    Vogata NI