Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've Been Noticing?

Post Thanks / Like

I've Been Noticing?

I've been noticing that there is a HUGE following in this hobby from the UK. Is there any particular reason for the interest to be so prevalent in the UK. It just seems as though the US following is significantly less. Just my perception...just curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe they take hobby alittle more seriously? Most of the hobbyist I know are pretty Koi-Kichi...In my opinion I haven't really seen alot of young hobbyist(28-36 age range). Nothing really to drive the hobby forward...I attended a Club meeting and it was all politics...Not what you want to show a young hobbyist...Most of the hobbyist were older than me by 20 to 30 years. Honestly didn't care for it. I mean I have been in this hobby almost 10 years and only seen maybe 6 guys in my age range join the hobby...pretty sad....That's why I started my own local club..."KOI-UNIT"
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we have regular hobbyists younger than me in CKC. Of course they don't show fish yet; still just enjoying the pleasure of having regular fish.

But, yeah, most folks into koi are 40+ it seems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shucks, I just missed your cut (37) I guess I'm part of the older crowd then...hahaha.

Do you have annual shows in your area(s). In Hawaii, I don't think the club holds any shows anymore. I hear that they have exhibitions. I don't know what that entails. I myself went to my first meeting in December. A lot of really nice people, very, very helpful and encouraging. A lot of older couples but some youngsters too. Looks like a real good mix...I just fit somewhere in the middle as a newbie. I hope I can make more meetings and get to know more members. Fun group and I starting to seek the Koi Kichi's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of interest in Holland as well but little of the quality ones finds in the UK.
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Post Thanks / Like
    The Horimotos from Hawaii are a nice couple, i meet them in Japan for the first time. Kenneth and Shirleen are good people...I respect them and they really seem to watch out for the younger guys in the hobby...Well getting back to the European hobby vs. the U.S. hobby...you can't really compare because the level is there...The time and effort to put on a big show every year is commended. If you could get a show to run even 4 yrs straight here in the states is a miracle.....

Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San
    Shucks, I just missed your cut (37) I guess I'm part of the older crowd then...hahaha.

Do you have annual shows in your area(s). In Hawaii, I don't think the club holds any shows anymore. I hear that they have exhibitions. I don't know what that entails. I myself went to my first meeting in December. A lot of really nice people, very, very helpful and encouraging. A lot of older couples but some youngsters too. Looks like a real good mix...I just fit somewhere in the middle as a newbie. I hope I can make more meetings and get to know more members. Fun group and I starting to seek the Koi Kichi's.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    The UK as a country has been at this hobby longer than in the US. The basic hobbyist as well as the advanced is well beyond the average counterpart in the US.

That's alright gives us something to shoot for. Besides the first person to win a major koi show in japan was an american from hawaii!

Most of the clubs I'm familar with are filled with older aged individuals. In japan they think it's marvelous to have a few women and familes interested like thier overseas counterparts in Europe, Australia, South Africa and America. It's mainly a man's show over in japan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where's Mike the Retired Guy? Oh Mikeeeeee....

Mike is trying to drum up interest in a show in Hawaii. If the last club meeting is any indication, its going to be a difficult sell. "How many would be interested in having a show" - everyone raises their hands. "How many would be interested in showing their fish" - nobody raises their hand. Everyone knows that Kenneth would take all the prizes anyway. I hope Mike pulls it off though because I'm really curious to see what sort of fish are out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'm from the UK and yes there are a lot of people interested in Koi, many with huge amounts of knowledge. But there are still many people still in their first or second years in the hobby. The UK is far smaller than the US, perhaps the size of one of your states, but in the area where I live, population circa 300,000, I only know 3 other serious Koi hobbist's. I'm sure there are others, but our paths do not cross.

Within an hours drive of my house, there are 4 very serious dealers and a few others operating smaller units.

The Internet has still opened up the hobby in the UK massively, with KoiChat being at the fore front on a lot of activities.
    Regards, Bob
    ><{{{{> ><{{{{> ><{{{{>
    <}}}}>< <}}}}><

Post Thanks / Like
    Akai-San: The koikeeping hobby got its roots in Britain in the 1960s and '70s, with a strong group of enthusiastic people who ultimately created the British Koi Keepers Society as a national umbrella organization with regional groups (sections) throughout the country somewhat like the ZNA model in Japan, but different. Looking thru the old BKKS newsletters, you would recognize all the personalities that seem to be in every koi club. The squabbling was uniquely British, and at the same time knowledge of koikeeping was both imported and developed. Certainly Japan has led the way in breeding and appreciation, but I see the British as having laid the path for success without mud ponds. Meanwhile, in the U.S., the hobby was largely limited to portions of California until the 1980s and most of the country was inundated with mass-produced un-culled domestic junk from the infancy of the hobby, thanks to a few Florida fish farms and the likes of Herbert Axelrod. AKCA developed in the U.S. as a loose affiliation and has had its own challenges in promoting the hobby. Today, the Brits continue to lead in new product development/adaptation, but the U.S., Taiwan, Holland, South Africa, Austrailia, Malaysia, Thailand all have important segments of the hobby and make contributions to the progress of the hobby. With the internet, the globalization of the hobby is upon us. We can expect it to continue to spread. And, it will reach new heights as long as the market exists to keep the koi farmers busy refining the fish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast