Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawning what do I do now!

Post Thanks / Like

Spawning what do I do now!

Hi

I went to feed the Koi this morning and they have decided its a great time to spawn so have thrown a couple of spawning brushes into the pond.

As this is my 1st spawning can someone tell me what to next. In a step by step guide.

Many thanks

Chris(panicing)

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris: The guys with real experience will chime in soon, I'm sure. While we wait, if you are at risk of the eggs getting eaten, then remove the spawning brushes to a separate tank with aeration. I would use the same pond water to reduce shock. An anti-bacterial would be my next step ... a dose of methylene blue. But, this is no longer available in some areas. If not available, wait for the real experts to reply.

Since this is un-planned, you will not have a grow pond ready and you will not have the micro foods the new fry will need. You still have several days before they are free swimming, but need to get a grow pond set up. Bigger is better. Try a kiddie pool if nothing else. Just be sure it does not have algae retardents in the plastic. As to fry food, green water is a good additive, even if you are having to rely on prepared foods. Assuming you do not have a natural pond to use for the fry, and have to cobble something together, here is something that has worked when I've spawned tropicals: Set up two dozen containers of dechlorinated water in full sun. Each container should hold a half gallon or more of water. Add a pinch of garden soil to each to supply a bit of nutrient. As they turn green, each container will be a meal to add to the grow tank. By the time you hit day 12 after they are free-swimming, there may be some insect larvae in the water as well. (I would set up the containers before spawning to have better assurance of green water appearing, but sometimes it turns green in 6 days time if conditions are right.)
    Last edited by MikeM; 06-26-2005 at 01:16 PM. Reason: correct word

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike

Thanks for that, would a 3' by 2' deep bowl be any good or is this to small.

Also is 1 airstone enough with a 40 airpump, should I also get a small aquarium heater as well.

Regards

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you are not ready for the spawn you will have time to go and get you a couple of good pumps and get you a good 1000 gallon kiddie pool and wash very good and fill with the pond water put eggs in the kiddie pool and recirculate the water from the main pond into the kiddie pool and back to the main pond. This way you will have better luck with the fry.

Wish I had longer but gotta go, someone will help you soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike good input!

Caution on kiddie pools. Not that the idea is bad but many times company in an effort to add performance will spray an algicide on them. Would be deadly on the fry. most manufacturers will say so somewhere on the product.

you main concern is to watch the parents for injury and subsequent infection.

after your egg treatment, keep only a few, maybe a couple dozen. their needs are so easily abused that fewer is better.

Your welcome to ask rear questions here after things get settled.

I'm spawning this weekend (deliberately) because of a full moon. be aware as a koi keeper with mixed sexes in one pond that this situation can start a spawn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris: I just corrected what I posted earlier. The kiddie pool should NOT have any algae retardants! Sorry.

A 3' diameter 2' deep bowl would probably do until you can set up something bigger. If you are just interested in raising a handful, you might get by with it. Where are you located? (I'm wondering what your weather is like in July.) If you are in U.S., I'd check out K-mart or Target for a kiddie pool. There are ones with a top ring that is inflated, which hold a good amount of water and are easy to install. Be sure NO algacide.

KFG's idea of recirculating pond water through a grow tank is interesting, but I'm not sure how you would implement it. Maybe she will explain later. In the fry stage you would not want too much current. I'm thinking a sponge filter used in aquarium spawning tanks would be adequate ... at least at first. I f you are going to try raising a few hundred hatchlings, you'll end up needing more after a few weeks, but I'm jumping way ahead of where we are right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris: About the air pump. That is a lot of air for a small container. It should be fine as long as you pinch the line to prevent too much agitation. A gentle current is what you want. The eggs are fairly hardy when it comes to current, but as soon as they hatch, it is a different story. The fry will still have a yolk sac to absorb for the first couple of days. They need calm conditions with just enough movement to keep high oxygen levels and prevent stagnation. As they grow and begin to look like fish, then the air could be increased.

Any time you notice the water turning even the least bit whitish, change water (gradually). The whitish cloudiness is a bacteria bloom. That will cause real problems. Using established pond water and some mature media should prevent any problem. Note: After spawning your pond may be in need of filter cleaning and water changes. Don't over clean the filter media.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies.

Managed to find a Aquosis koi tank, its about a 1,500 gallons when full. Have put 6" of water in the bottom and put the spawning brushes in. The pond is about 10' in diameter.

Should I put more water in now or as they grow.

I am in Devon in UK, main pond was running at 21c

Regards
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike

Would one airstone and a 40 be to much in the new tank or should I turn it down a bit.

Regards
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    With new fry doesnt some fungacide nned to be used such as Methelyne blue and or Malachite green?

Not a breeder but remember reading something on this years ago..

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast