Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growth

Post Thanks / Like

Growth

What would you say should be good growth in a closed system in a years time on these size koi?

6" to 10"

11" to 15"

16" to 20"

21" to 25"

26" to 30"

I'm not real happy with some of the growth I got on a few of my koi. I'm wondering if I was just hoping for to much out of them. All of them have not been in the pond for a year yet, so I think I have to be a little easy on some of them.

Tom

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom C
    What would you say should be good growth in a closed system in a years time on these size koi?

6" to 10"

11" to 15"

16" to 20"

21" to 25"

26" to 30"

I'm not real happy with some of the growth I got on a few of my koi. I'm wondering if I was just hoping for to much out of them. All of them have not been in the pond for a year yet, so I think I have to be a little easy on some of them.

Tom
    What are the parameters? Water temps? Water condition? Breeder/bloodline?.....Food?...
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    What are the parameters? Water temps? Water condition? Breeder/bloodline?.....Food?...
    Also, "quality" has to be main part of good growth too. I hope Tom already meant that. If a koi has good growth without high quality does not mean much.

I got two Momotaro Kohaku there years ago as part of the study project. I bought them on the same day, almost same quality, same size (11"), same price, dealer said they came from the same parents and born on the same day. Raising them on the same pond (got only one pond;-))) and feeding the same food.

A year later, one grows up to 19" and other just around 14". But the small one
    is much better in quality....

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    dinh,

any pics of those two koi? and what is the sex?

i wonder if females grow faster than males all else being equal?

kevan.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's funny you bring some of these things up. It seems like the better the blood lines I get the less growth I'm getting. I had to junk domestic koi in the pond that were removed a few weeks ago. I have no idea what blood lines they came from, but I got the best growth out of them. Most of the koi in the pond now are Ogata koi, Sakuma, Torazo, a few Maruyama, and one Ogawa. I'm getting very little growth out of one of the Maruyama kois, I didn't pull up the Ogawa yet, but I didn't think I would get much out of that one. The Ogata koi are growing what I would call OK.

As for food this summer I moved over to Ogata wheat grem and Ogata Special Silk Worm. If I remember right the Ogata Special Silk Worm has a 42% Protein level.

I'm not happy with how high my water temps got this year. They got up to about 90 degrees. I'm going to add a shade cover over the pond soon. Right now the water temp is 70.2 degrees.

The pond was getting about 20% water change a week. I cut that back a little now.

I will have to pull up some dates on when I added some of the koi to the pond. I know some are under a year in the pond. One that I added 18 months ago put on 12" and that is the best of them. Most only put on about 4" but I know they have been in the pond less than a year. A Maruyama Kohaku was added to the pond in the middle of April and was 6" and now is 10 1/2".

As for parameters I will have to get you some new reading. The last time I checked pH was at 8.7, ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, don't chack Nitrates much, KH 180, I have no idea what the ORP reading are. I did run into a problem this summer with high ammonia and nitrite problems. This was do to two thing, a product that claimed to remove chloramines that didn't, and a old test kit that was stored in the heat of the filter house.

Tom

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

Your original post is very confusing since you list to many starting sizes and keep them in 4 inch increments.
    Maybe something like:
    6"-10"
    6-12"
    6"-14"

Or

10"-14"
    10"-16"
    10"-18"

or
    16"-18"
    16"-20"
    16"-22"
    and so on and so on. Obviously as the fish increases in length the amount of growth is going to slow down in length.
    But 2" on a 26" fish is a hell of a lot more than 10" on a 6" fish.
    Got any before and after photos?

Post Thanks / Like
    I post a few pictures in a minute.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom C
    It's funny you bring some of these things up. It seems like the better the blood lines I get the less growth I'm getting. I had to junk domestic koi in the pond that were removed a few weeks ago. I have no idea what blood lines they came from, but I got the best growth out of them.

Tom
    For a long time I had quite a mix of "no name" domestic and "no name" imports and always noticed the imports grew faster. Now that I am buying "brand name" imports I have noticed that they grow even faster then the "no name" imports. Seems to be opposite what you have found. I'm speaking relatively of course. Not all of my "brand name" koi are growing well but a majority of them are and not all of my "no name" imports are growing slowly but a majority of them are.
    Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Post Thanks / Like

Kikisui

A few pictures of the koi and the growth. I still need to pull up when I got them. The first picture is when it came out of QT, and the other was today 10/09/05. I lost most of the info I had on all of my koi when I computer crashed, but I think this one was 16" when it when into the pond. It's now 20" I think it's been in the pond less then a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two of the chagoi before and after. I think she was 21" when she went in, now she's 24".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast