Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: I C stunts growth

I C stunts growth

Here is one for you. Intraspecific competition can stunt the normal growth curve of a koi. I am guilty of IC feeding so what do I do? IC is defined as the struggle between members of a population for scarce resources. There are two basic types of competition.
    The old aggressive social behavior IC, such as dominance and hierarchies.
    Then there is my favorite IC, the "mad scramble" for scarce resources.
    I am going to try the former tonight at the dinner table. Is stunt and shrink similar in meaning?

I have that pendulum demand feeder. My koi grow like mad. They never fight for pellets when they are on it. Wont even take pellets when you throw them in, cause they know they dont have to rely on you. The bigger ones will even release pellets from the feeder for the little koi and swim away without eating any. Seen it many times.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gregbickal
    I have that pendulum demand feeder. My koi grow like mad. They never fight for pellets when they are on it. Wont even take pellets when you throw them in, cause they know they dont have to rely on you. The bigger ones will even release pellets from the feeder for the little koi and swim away without eating any. Seen it many times.
    Hi Greg, could you answer a couple questions please. Now that you ended the feast or famine cycle with feeders, can you estimate the amount of food eaten in the warm active times in say pounds of feed to pounds of fish?
    Do koi feed at night as well and what unit did you buy?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEMAND%20FEEDERS.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	5239  

Sansai
    On the koi kichi buffet they eat just as much at night. I actually already put mine for the year this weekend, they found it about 3AM Sunday and I could hardly sleep from all the noise. I did calculations last spring and they were eating 6% of body weight per day, that was with about half the pond tosai and the rest 2-3yr olds. I'm sure the tosai were over 10% daily. Later in the fall when the water temps got back down to the 70s they were consuming ~1.5-2%. It was about the same amount of food but many of the the tosai were much larger by weight at this point. They eat very little at water temps under 62 or so, and over 86 or so.

My long term memory isnt that great, and I dont keep accurate records as to how much they are eating during the summer. If you ask me, how much food they ate this week, I could tell you, cause I have to refill the feeder at least once a week (its the one you have pictured) a 20lb capacity hopper. I went through roughly 300lbs of food for my 150lbs worth of koi last year. However 2005 was warmer than normal so the growing season was longer.

I observe the level of the feeder when I go to work at 7am, and then again at night when I get home 5pm. Mine eat mostly at night, however I do see slight consumption during the day. The size and shape of the feeder its hard to tell, cause if it drops 1/2", that could be a pound, but the closer you get to the bottom it could be 3 pounds. I think I might add some graduated marks to it at every pound so I can have a better measuring.

If I have time this year, I will record how many pounds they are eating, day & night. And also if spawnings occurred and other activities (weather) which might affect consumption.

I am still waiting for my bulk shipment of koi food, which is 2 weeks overdue, so the koi are not back on the feeder yet. Once they do go back on, their consumption will be double for the first week, until they get out of starvation mode and relise the food will always be there. When I first installed the feeder a few years ago they ate 8lbs a day for the first week, then tapered off to 4lbs. They do recognize the feeder, and know what it is.

I am also thinking of buying a second feeder, and trying a different type of food in it to see how they react.

What kind of feeder is that?

Kingkong what kind of feeder is that?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jbolding
    Kingkong what kind of feeder is that?
    Thanks Greg! Eat mostly at night...that's interesting.

Pendulum demand feeder with polyethylene hopper choice of 22, 44, 88 and 132 lbs. Aquatic Eco-System