Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: honest opinions welcome and not so rare

Post Thanks / Like

honest opinions welcome and not so rare

There are many things that impress me with this board and one is the honesty with which fish are evaluated when asked. Even if the fish is below par, time is taken to turn such a fish into a learning experience rather than being left to the comments of "nice pretty fish" that I see elsewhere.

Now to go photo hunting for an honest opinion

BB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbradleybradley View Post
    There are many things that impress me with this board and one is the honesty with which fish are evaluated when asked. Even if the fish is below par, time is taken to turn such a fish into a learning experience rather than being left to the comments of "nice pretty fish" that I see elsewhere.
    ^
    |
    |

What BB said.
    Don Chandler
    Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, here's how I see it. If someone posts a picture of a fish they are proud of and does not ask for an opinion, I won't give them one. I won't tell them it's a nice fish if it's not, but I won't run their fish into the ground unless they ask. Not everyone can afford show quality fish and really don't care if their fish are pond-grade or not. If an opinion is asked for, all bets are off. The poster deserves an honest answer if they ask the question.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate that as well. Here and at KS.we try to make every purchase of koi an experience to learn from.....
    We have Critique My Fish.......and it is all honest opinions.no" nice "fish....folks have to know that going in that forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll never forget when I first found this website. It was while doing a search..by accident. I remember someone wanted an evaluation of their koi. Well..I thought it was a beautiful fish...but it was being destroyed by the members here!!! I said...this is where I need to be. This is where I'm really going to learn something. Had a few of my own fish wrecked here...but learned an amazing amount. The honesty is worth it's weight in gold. This is what makes this site unique and special....hardcore koi people only!! Softcore water gardners need not apply!!!

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree...thats why I lurk here and don`t post much. I`m still learning
    But I`ll bite What do you think about this koi?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HasuHana.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	12345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HasuHana Winter Pic.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	12346  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carrie1964 View Post
    I agree...thats why I lurk here and don`t post much. I`m still learning
    But I`ll bite What do you think about this koi?
    Well, at least your willing to step up to the plate! Please don't take any of the comments posted personally. It is about learning what attributes make for a quality fish that "should" last for a long period of time so you can enjoy the spoils of your keeping skills.

Okay, ready?

The body is not too bad, could be fuller. The shiroji (white ground) is very nice. What I'm afraid of is the beni getting ready to break apart. If you look closely, you'll see several indications of this. The kiwa on the left side of the step by the dorsal is very thin. Also on the right side. The overall beni quality is rather thin as noted by the lighter colored lines between the scales. There is also hi on the left cheek which really detracts from the balance on the face. And lastly, the hi runs up into the base of the tail into the actual fin itself. Had it stopped at the scales at the base of the tail it wouldn't be quite so bad. I apologize if I seem blunt but there is only one way to learn and that is as what was posted above - HONESTY!!

Who is the breeder, what size and age is this fish?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for answering Mike! I`m not offended ..here to learn.
    Breeder is Brady Brandwood. She is about 23 months now I believe. She was 16" in the photos.
    You know.....the Hi on the face bothered me too. But I liked the overall package enough to buy her.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Do not be unduly concerned by the light "outlining" of the scales in the Hi on Brady's fish. It is often an indication of immature Hi in his breeding, not fading/weakness. There is a softness to the Hi on his fish that gives an impression of velour... that can become velvet as the fish matures. He produces a different Beni, has a different vision. His fish do not get the "big-boned" angularity of the some of the Japanese lines. Instead, there is a supple, softness that makes his koi unique.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually read somewhere that beni on the gill plate can be a sign that the beni will be deep and strong. I like the kohaku...excellent shiroji. The only think I really dont like is the tail stop. But, still a good purchase.

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast