Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Help on identifying Parasite/Fungus

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like

Help on identifying Parasite/Fungus

Hi all, Please help me to identify this parasite/fungus and please recommend correct medication for it. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    that little white dot could be a lot of things. It could be carp pox or it could be ich. Most parasites are microscopic. You will need a microscope to diagnose your problem. that little white dot did not kill the fish. It also looks like you have some tail rot going on with that fish?

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    that little white dot could be a lot of things. It could be carp pox or it could be ich. Most parasites are microscopic. You will need a microscope to diagnose your problem. that little white dot did not kill the fish. It also looks like you have some tail rot going on with that fish?
    ok. So what treatment should i use for tail rot?

Honmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alien,
    I think Cindy gave you a good piece of advice. You need a microscope to adequately determine if there is a fungus or parasite and thus the proper treatment regime. "Guessing" and taking actions can be far more detrimental, especially if your guess is wrong. I am sure that yu would not want your own Dr. to guess and give you advice, expecially if that advice could put you in further danger. The same holds true with koi and their treatments.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Alien,
    I think Cindy gave you a good piece of advice. You need a microscope to adequately determine if there is a fungus or parasite and thus the proper treatment regime. "Guessing" and taking actions can be far more detrimental, especially if your guess is wrong. I am sure that yu would not want your own Dr. to guess and give you advice, expecially if that advice could put you in further danger. The same holds true with koi and their treatments.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

Ok, so i need to get a microscope and, scrape off that part that looks like a pimple and place it under the microscope?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alien07 View Post
    Hi Steve,

Ok, so i need to get a microscope and, scrape off that part that looks like a pimple and place it under the microscope?
    In the simplest terms... yup! However, don't try too hard to get that speck off, you're after the mucus I believe, not really the pimple.

Also, scrape behind the gill plate, around the vent, etc. so as not to miss anything. I prefer to use the plastic cover slips to scrape with so as not to remove a scale or two with those sharp glass slides. (got a couple fish from the suicide squad trying to grow scales back from my learning curve)

FYI for you... I was in your shoes not too long ago. I had a fish come up sick, took pictures, posted and asked questions. Scoured the internet looking for the EXACT same problem in the hope of saving money and steps. "treated" with salt, heat... basically any of the "catch-all" type of band aid repairs that I could. NOTHING got better. Finally ordered a microscope. Fish health continued to decline, kept salting to no avail. Microscope arrived, I scraped, I saw, I ordered the appropriate medication for what I was dealing with, I treated, I relaxed as things came quickly into line... We've probably all been where you are, but I may be the most recent to this lesson. Bombarding fish with innappropriate treatments will not help, it will make it worse.

Good luck.

Grant

(also, while ordering the correct treatment for what you're dealing with, stock up for the future, as a new keeper myself, I know that I'm going to run into disease problems so I'd rather have what I need on hand if possible to expedite treatment in the future)

a good start for you would be:

Microscope - up to 400X is needed. Available on ebay for less than 200 dollars. Bells and whistles will cost more so spend what you're comfortable with.

Potassium permanganate - great for a lot of things, including wiping out your collection, your filters, your non water pets...... careful.

Proform C - formalin and malachite green combo. Hates salt... careful

Prazi - for flukes. In the tab form, simple to use, and fairly safe product.

Tri Neo - great for bacterial infections. Especially when used in conjuction with next item

Baytril - available from a vet. Antibiotic injection. Careful...

Iodine - for topical treatment of sores.

Triple action antibiotic cream - topical treatment again.

Oil of clove - for making the feeeshes sleepy. Easy to use, fairly safe and allows a newbie to treat his fish without banging the hell out of em.

Anyway, this is a very small list compared to what a lot of people have, but if you can round up these items will help you react quick in the future to the health needs of your fish. This way, when you post a question about what your seeing and what is reccommended for treatment you'll have it, and with some help from all the knowledgeable folks on this board you may even be successful in treating and healing!!

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    ....and what you'll learn along the way you will share with others as "gcuss" has with you.
    2010 Upper Midwest Koi Club Show
    AKCA 4th Annual Open Show
    July 31st, Aug 1st & 2nd, Minneapolis, MN
    http://www.umkoiclub.org/

Post Thanks / Like
    I've bin' a reeedin and askin' fer a while now. Figured it was time to pipe up a bit where I could...

Thanks Auntiesue

Grant

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure, after i solve this problem first. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntiesue View Post
    ....and what you'll learn along the way you will share with others as "gcuss" has with you.