Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: First Shimmi on Kohaku

First Shimmi on Kohaku

Hey all, its been a while that I've visited here. I had to update my link too.

Anyway, this weekend while doing my weekly water changes, I noticed that two of my male Kohaku (Dainichi) popped a couple dark shimmi on their backs for the first time. I checked my water and the pH that I always fight with was low 6.0-6.5 pH. Water changes got the pH back to where it needs to be over the weekend, but I'm guessing these shimmi will never to away. I don't have show koi, but I don't want my kohaku to start looking like sanke mistakes. Should I expect more shimmi to arrive now that the spots popped out? Makes me sad as I thought I was doing fine with my Kohakus (guess not)

First, it is not your fault. Second, there is no telling what will happen.

I have too much experience with shimmies on Kohaku to ever try to predict what will happen. I can sum it up with the history of one Kohaku. About a year after I got her, a shimmie popped up seemingly overnight. Then another and another. Then they all went away. Then they came back. So it went for years. She was quite a beauty otherwise, but I could not take her to a show because there was always a shimmie or two. She peaked when about 7 years old. Then about 5 years ago, the shimmies happened to go away at the time of the Central Florida Koi Show, so I took her for the first time. She was well past her peak, but at over 90cm, she was a grand fish. She got the Jumbo Award that year. A couple of months later, a big shimmie popped up. It stayed for the rest of her life. She passed away about a year ago. I long ago swore to myself never to get another Kohaku. But, I caved in getting one bred by Mat McCann that I saw come out of the mud at harvest time. She is now a fairly good sized koi and has never had a shimmie. ....All in the same pond, same water, same filtration, same maintenance practices, etc., etc. Go figure.

The fault is not in you, it is in the stars.

Thanks for the words Mike. Sorry to hear about your big girl passing last year. So hopefully there is a chance the shimmies will fade-in/fade-out. I am trying heavier water changes twice a week now to see how this goes. Plus summer is right around the corner, so just starting the regiment a few months earlier.

The males are my first Kohaku buys that I got as a grow project. The third male in this group is still holding on with no shimmi (I checked good), they are 4-1/2 years old now. I definitely learned a lot about Kohaku with these fellas. Amazing how each are so different when observing their growth and development side by side. I need a larger pond to do more grow-outs! Haha. Don't we all.