Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Shusui and Asagi

Post Thanks / Like

New Shusui and Asagi

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	38145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	38146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0053.jpg 
Views:	1023 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	38147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg 
Views:	1658 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	38148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg 
Views:	678 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	38149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0084.jpg 
Views:	1008 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	38150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0147.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	38151
    Please feel free to share any thoughts (Just domestic/local Koi). The Shusui in the fifth photo seems interesting...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by llo2 View Post
    Please feel free to share any thoughts
    Too dark for Asagi/Shusui tosai.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Too dark for Asagi/Shusui tosai.
    ahh... too finished I see, thanks for the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I was picking one of these, it would be the one in photo 5(of 7).

I'll leave it to DickB to evaluate. He knows Asagi and Shusui.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks mike

When it comes to these color varieties, they tend to over run patterns with red. So for asagi pick the lightest one with the least amount of red. thinking pic one will be ok.

Unlike asagi, Shusui can be all red (hi shusui) but again I always look to the lighter with least amount of red at this age because as they age they seem to develop more red. pic 5 in shusui would be my choice.

Do not encourage red development with color food.
    Dick Benbow

Post Thanks / Like

Just found One expert

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    thanks mike

When it comes to these color varieties, they tend to over run patterns with red. So for asagi pick the lightest one with the least amount of red. thinking pic one will be ok.

Unlike asagi, Shusui can be all red (hi shusui) but again I always look to the lighter with least amount of red at this age because as they age they seem to develop more red. pic 5 in shusui would be my choice.

Hi Dick, you have said it all re these two types.
    These photos show some of the pitfalls of buying small fish from unknown breeders or blood lines.
    They will grow into nice pond fish which will add both color and variety to your pond.
    They also show how if you breed you own fish you must know and understand the color development of the type of fish you have bred.
    If you do not understand at what age your fish start to show their final coloration, you could quite easily kill or give away the ones that have the most potential without knowing.
    I do understand how some fish start life dark and their whites come out while others start life light and then add colors.
    I do NOT KNOW YET enough to select fry below 10cm with confidence .
    ANY help on these finer point that members out there will be very welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    I could write a book LOL But I feel a lot of Kodama's books are helpful in understanding this education.

Without going into a lot of detail, the NAME of the type of color variety it is tells you alot about what to look for.

for example: Gin rin showa. because the name leads with GR, that is first priority. What makes good GR.
    3 rows or more of scales. GR easily shows well thru white, the difficult color to clearly show thru is black.
    With small fish like the asagi shusui, pattern for this variety may finish as late as 6-7 years. Pattern at this young age will not be an issue. Hopefully you can see GR thru a black patch for assessment.

think about what you might look for in these names
    Goshiki-sanke (it's not saying sanke goshiki)
    cha-utsuri ( what makes a good cha,because the sumi pattern may take some time) black is usually strongest in the tail, finding some shoulder sumi on a small koi may indicate a better choice then something showing only in the tail.

I hope these examples get you to thinking.

yamabuki (yellow-gold) as Hikari need to have the body sheen
    easily identifyable in sunlight. Size of pecs is also a flagg for similar hikari color varieties. They tend to be proportionately undersized. Put a dozen subjects in a bowl and remove those that do not exibit the sheen. from those left look for the biggest pecs. go with the lightest yellow color.
    Dick Benbow

Post Thanks / Like
    easily identifyable in sunlight. Size of pecs is also a flagg for similar hikari color varieties. They tend to be proportionately undersized. Put a dozen subjects in a bowl and remove those that do not exibit the sheen. from those left look for the biggest pecs. go with the lightest yellow color.
    Ah, Dick, you have said it so simply. ...Of course, make it a vat of 100 and my eye has a terrible time focusing on any!... "Where's the one I just saw?!?"

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Dick

I could write a book LOL But I feel a lot of Kodama's books are helpful in understanding this education.

Without going into a lot of detail, the NAME of the type of color variety it is tells you alot about what to look for.

for example: Gin rin showa. because the name leads with GR, that is first priority. What makes good GR.
    3 rows or more of scales. GR easily shows well thru white, the difficult color to clearly show thru is black.
    With small fish like the asagi shusui, pattern for this variety may finish as late as 6-7 years. Pattern at this young age will not be an issue. Hopefully you can see GR thru a black patch for assessment.

think about what you might look for in these names
    Goshiki-sanke (it's not saying sanke goshiki)
    cha-utsuri ( what makes a good cha,because the sumi pattern may take some time) black is usually strongest in the tail, finding some shoulder sumi on a small koi may indicate a better choice then something showing only in the tail.

I hope these examples get you to thinking.

All VERY useful information,I will save this and look out for the Kodama books. Does he tell you which brood stock to put together to produce which variety ?
    I understand all about shape conformation and what to look for in smaller fish and how to line breed to retain trates of the initial parents.

When I was in Japan , some 35 years ago, the Japanese were very good at telling you what you already knew, but 'pretended ' not to understand when you asked about what I regarded as their deep knowledge, hard learned though experience.
    Can't blame them too much as they knew that this is what gives their fish value over ALL others.
    I had gone to bed by the time you posted ! Nice to 'talk' anyway !
    Catch you soon
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Dick, does this apply only to frys only? Or to asagi at all the different growth stages? I have a nissai or sansai narumi asagi that hasn't shown any beni coloration at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast